Concrete is everywhere. It is the world's most commonly used construction material, and for a good reason. It's strong, durable and relatively low maintenance. But concrete isn't indestructible and can sink and settle over time due to environmental factors like erosion, freeze/thaw cycles, and poor soil conditions. Concrete settlement is a very common issue in the Greater Edmonton Area. Our harsh winters and typically dry summers can wreak havoc on the concrete slabs around your home. Sunken and settled concrete slabs don't just decrease your home's curb appeal; they can create serious safety hazards for your family and other people using your property. As a homeowner, you might be wondering how to fix the settled concrete on your property. LVL Concrete Lifting has the best solution! Polyurethane concrete lifting! Polyurethane concrete lifting, also known as slab jacking or foam jacking, is the best way to lift and level sunken and settled concrete slabs. It offers many benefits over other concrete lifting methods, such as mudjacking. But what are the benefits of lifting residential concrete slabs with polyurethane foam? The concrete experts at LVL are here to tell you! Read on to learn more!
What are the Dangers of Sunken and Settled Concrete?
Concrete is everywhere around your home. Your driveway, sidewalk, walkway, front steps, pool deck, patio, garage floor, basement floor and the foundation of your home are all made of concrete. As concrete slabs begin to sink, settle or shift, they create hazards around your home. Sunken and settled concrete slabs become uneven and crack. These cracks and uneven areas create tripping hazards and can damage vehicles and sometimes even neighbouring properties. Concrete settlement can also cause water pooling around your home. Water pooling can cause further damage to the slab and also cause severe problems with your home's foundation if left untreated. To avoid injuries, damage to vehicles and property, and the possible collapse of your home, sunken and settled concrete needs to be lifted and levelled. Foam jacking is the ideal way to address these issues and prevent further settlement.
What is Foam Jacking?
Foam jacking, also known as slab jacking or polyurethane concrete levelling, has quickly become the most popular concrete lifting method for homeowners. Polyurethane concrete lifting is an innovative method that uses polyurethane foam to lift and level sunken and settled concrete slabs. Our process is fast and efficient, and the results last much longer than mudjacking. We begin by drilling small holes in the top of the sunken slab. We then inject an environmentally friendly polyurethane foam beneath the concrete slab. Once injected, the foam expands and lifts the concrete slab back to its original height. Once the foam is injected, we patch the holes, and because polyurethane foam cures in minutes, the area can be used that same day. Foam jacking is a cost-effective, safe and long-lasting solution for sunken and settled concrete slabs. It can be used for many residential applications like pool decks, swimming pools, driveways, walkways, patios, steps and stairs, sidewalks, garage floors, basement floors, foundations and more!
The Benefits of Foam Jacking for Residential Applications
Foam jacking offers many benefits for lifting residential concrete slabs. It is the best alternative to mudjacking and has proven to be more effective than this traditional concrete raising method. Some of the benefits of foam jacking for residential jobs include the following:
- Foam jacking is extremely long-lasting. Mudjacking uses a slurry containing concrete. This slurry can be affected by the same issues that caused the slab to settle in the first place. Polyurethane Foam is unaffected by water, erosion and other environmental factors. It can last a literal lifetime and almost completely eliminates the chance of the slab sinking again.
- Foam jacking is non-invasive and requires little to no clean-up. Mudjacking is a messy and invasive process and requires more clean-up. Foam jacking requires no heavy equipment, leaving your property undisturbed and leaving no mess on your property.
- The polyurethane foam we use was designed to lift, level and support concrete slabs. It is incredibly strong and will not be affected by the weight of the concrete slab. It can support concrete slabs of almost any size and weight.
- Foam jacking is faster than mudjacking. Mudjacking can take days to complete, and the slurry takes much longer to dry. The fast cure time of polyurethane foam means we can complete smaller jobs in as little as 2 hours, so you don't have to worry about lengthy interruptions to your daily routine.
- Polyurethane foam is environmentally friendly. It is manufactured of partly recycled materials and without any toxic chemicals. It will not pollute the environment and is completely safe for use around your home. Polyurethane foam also eliminates the need to replace concrete slabs, keeping them out of landfills.
LVL Concrete Lifting Can Help With Your Residential Concrete Lifting Needs!
With so many benefits of using polyurethane foam to lift and level residential concrete slabs, it is easy to see why more and more homeowners are choosing foam jacking. At LVL Concrete Lifting, we have helped many homeowners in the Greater Edmonton Area repair sunken and settled concrete slabs around their homes. As with most things, maintaining the concrete slabs around your home is much cheaper than replacing them. Foam jacking is the ideal way to make your property safer and extend the life of your slabs. If you have noticed your driveway or patio is cracked, your stairs or pathways are sinking, or your pool deck or garage floor is uneven, we can help! Contact our team today! We'll have those slabs lifted in no time!